kitchen update: goodbye white tile

It's safe to say things have been chaotic around here, hence my disappearing for a while. We're getting back on track though, and by the end of today, the white tile floors in the kitchen should officially be history.


I'm doing a little happy dance inside ;-) I have really hated that tile from day 1 of living here.

Of course, underneath the tile is an even tougher-to-remove layer of Durock. Which was nailed down instead of screwed down, adding to the pain of removal! So, it's slow going, but we are almost there. Or I should say Michael is almost there, because all I'm doing is cheering him on. And sweeping up at the end of the day.

And here's what else is new:
Ceilings, walls, closet (in the foreground). And everything's painted! The area to the right of the chimney is a mess, but it'll all be covered up, up to the ceiling, and fully built out with cabinetry. Soon! ETA to finish the kitchen (the majority of it at least) is the end of the month. I'm starting to think we can actually do it!

6 comments

Meg said...

I'm at the opposite point in our kitchen reno... I feel like we're never going to be done. Just keep plugging, right? I really like the brick in your kitchen. I think it'll be such a great feature when the kitchen is done.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Casey, would you believe I have white(ish) tile on my kitchen floor? I hate mine too but I'm afraid I'll be living with it for at least another year :(. Congrats on your progress - I'll be living vicariously through your reno!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Holly Gruszka said...

Wow - awesome! changing up the floor is going to make such a huge difference. It's really moving along nicely for you guys.

Sarah said...

Awesome, Casey!!! Must feel so good to be getting so close to the finish line. Make sure you take care of yourself and the little one through all this work;)

The Vintique Object said...

You can do it! I have comment at how much brighter it already looks in there! Yay for redoing the kitchen. You guys are getting there.
Camille

René said...

This is going to look great! You must be so excited to be getting closer to the finish line. It has been fun watching this project progress.